Sunday, February 27, 2011

Beyond the Boots


*Sigh* Where to begin.... Friday night I hosted a show, Beyond the Boots, based off of my piece, Vintage Boots. If you happened to come across my blog entry a few down from this one, you know the importance of this event, and my pressing desire to take the popularity of this piece and do something purposeful with it... go "beyond" it, if you will. A piece primarily about parents without children, this event would give back in a way to support children without parents. Thus, the show was at Monkey Business Cafe, a non-profit organization that provides employment, homes, and programs for foster children in LA and Orange County. Headlining was some of LA's most well-known poets and my good friends, David Romero, Matt Sedillo, and Francois. Also featuring was KasiTeYana, Alex Alpharaoh, Danny Sugimoto, Nathan McWherter, Nghiem Le, Samantha Park, and Joy Oladoku. There was also a good list of open mic. sign-ups, all which brought the house down! To say the least, the night was incredible. I had the privilege of putting on the show with my best friend Kasey, our second show since The Necessary Project, and had the help of my other friends and roommates Ally, Kylie, Roman, and Delsy. It was very special for me personally to put the show on with the leading ladies in my life. And of course, the bulk of the evening had nothing to do with me. All of the poets and musicians brought their own stories, words of heartache, words of healing, words of comedy, and words of romance. Like every open mic or poetry showcase, the poets built the show themselves. There is no way that there was anywhere in California where a more powerful night of poetry was taking place at the same time as ours. These poets are unparalleled, and I am truly blessed to be surrounded and supported by such a profound group of artist. The cafe was packed; people kept streaming in as the night went on and we were busting at the seems. I wish we had pictures that gave the large resulting crowd justice. With over 100 attendees, and over $500 dollars raised for foster programs, the night was beyond the success we expected it to be. To everyone who came, thank you. I hope you enjoyed a night off of your busy schedules to bask in the beauty of raw, vulnerable, brilliant, and authentic story-telling... through poetry. Now it's your turn to write your own. Whatever circumstance you are victim to, whatever life situations have continued to suffocate you, grab a pen, and exhale. Together, let's do something to go beyond it.

No comments:

Post a Comment