Sunday, December 26, 2010

[spit]acular.







Smells of cappuccinos and grilled paninis & sounds of revolution fill the air. What a privilege it is to be in the company of extraordinary, visionary artist. SPIT, a poetry showcase headed up by the amazing Amery Ken Thao, was not only the best way, but perhaps the only way to come back to the poetry scene after arriving back into America. After a friend (whom i am very fond of) said he had heard of this show but didn't think I would pass the audition, I got in my car and drove down to Long Beach to try out. This ended up being one of the best decisions of my life. A couple weeks later, the callbacks had rehearsal, and two weeks later, it was showtime. I shared the stage with the most incredible artist on the west coast...some, in the nation. Many of us performed a variety of different pieces throughout the night, mine being "Just to Breathe," "Honestly, With Love," and "Vintage Boots." It was the sweetest thing, being surrounded by great poetic minds, and listening to some of the most ingenious metaphors, world-changing ideas, and interesting rhythms I've ever heard. I was captivated by fellow minds desiring to reach the youth of our generation, to expose the injustices of our world, and to promote expression and vulnerability through the arts. We all shared a purpose; it was like meeting family. SPIT II is coming up in the next few months, and I could not be more thrilled. I have stayed in touch and hung out with a majority of these poets and have even shared the stage with a handful of them since. There at the Cafe Mirage in Long Beach, California, we were all a part of something truly spectacular. It's great being a part of something greater than ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment