Sunday, December 26, 2010

these boots have taken me places.


i sometimes laugh at how caught up i get in things. it's been a year since i last visited this blog, but after a persistent woman at the Ugly Mug Cafe in Orange, California convinced me of it's importance, i've decided to start blogging all things pertaining to my poetry... or at least try. those who know me well know i like to keep personal things, personal, but as a slam poet i certainly walk a fine line. this blog will be a nice space for me to log my adventures with my poetry, as this journey has proven to be wonderful & unpredictable, & many times seems to have a mind of its own. certainly, this year has swept me off my feet, and taken me places i'd never dreamed. it will take me time to update on the important adventures of this year, but i hope to highlight some of the most memorable times and memorable people. perhaps, this year would not have been the same had it not been for my vintage boots.

i wrote a piece in november 09 called Vintage Boots. what started as a freestyle that i shared with two friends quickly became the one piece i'd perform more times than i can currently count. i performed it at one venue in anaheim, then got invited to perform it in beverly hills, then pomona, and then, well... the rest is history. this piece brought me back into the poetry world i had once loved so deeply, with a passion only known by fellow artistic souls. it has helped me meet & spit alongside some of the most amazing spoken word artist of our time, and has brought me back home to my passions for performing slam poetry. it's not my best piece, by far, but i owe it's themes of hope, commitment, and love the success of my 2010. not just my success in my pursuit of poetry, but also my success in believing in myself, and surrounding myself with other fellow visionaries.

what began as a message to my daughter has a become a message about myself, one i am proud to pass down to her, and generations to come.

so, thanks, boots. let's keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment